By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Seventh Edict
The body is a sacred vessel, forming an integral link in the chain of death and birth; defiling, neglecting, or otherwise mishandling a dead body is a crime against future generations. For this reason, the handling of dead bodies will henceforth be subject to the following regulations:
- Raising the bodies of the dead via shamanic magic, cremating a dead body, and knowingly disturbing a grave for any reason shall each be considered a crime on par with murder, and punishable as such;
- Unknowingly disturbing a grave will be considered a crime on par with manslaughter, and in addition to all associated compensations as set forth by the law, perpetrators will be expected to make due reparations to the dead;
- Commanding the bodies of the dead via shamanic magic shall be considered a form of slavery, and shall be punishable as such;
- Destroying, mutilating, or removing a grave marker for any reason shall be considered a crime on par with the unlawful destruction of property, and in addition to all associated compensations as set forth by the law, perpetrators will be expected to make due reparations to the dead;
- Any person who knows or has reason to know that an unmarked grave site has been disturbed, destroyed, defaced, removed, or exposed shall immediately notify their local epmos;
- Any person who discovers a previously unmarked grave site shall immediately notify their local epmos;
- Shamanic magic which destroys undead creatures will not be penalized;
- Other aspects of shamanic magic will not be penalized.
All shamans are expected to register themselves with their local epmos upon the epmos’ arrival at their post. Finally, any shamans or gravediggers who are interested in learning how to perform traditional Caprinan funerary rituals may report to their local Yu for instruction.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Sixth Edict
New monarchs of Braelin have traditionally appointed and maintained a personal guard to ensure their safety and well-being on a day-to-day basis. In keeping with this long-standing tradition, Their Majesty Jintaru Riga hereby announces the creation of their personal guard, to be known as the Black Orchid, under the command of Karasin Stragos.
The Black Orchid will initially be comprised of Caprinan and Zikarian individuals, as selected by Their Majesty Jintaru Riga and vetted by Karasin Stragos. Citizens from the other duchies of Braelin may apply to join the guard, but must agree to undergo a formal, one-year-minimum probationary period before official acceptance is extended.
Applicants may hail from any social class. All Black Orchid members will be considered equal despite their original backgrounds, bear the designation Promachi, and will be given an appropriate measure of respect as members of Their Majesty’s personal guard.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Fifth Edict
All persons, whether noble or common by birth, owe an implicit debt to their country and fellow citizens; and ought to feel both pride and humility in the act of giving back to the society in which they live. Therefore by 31st Summerfall 1217 all persons aged 16 to 18 must report to their local Yu, or Youth Academy, for a mandatory two-year period of civil service, general education, and military training. A joint coalition of tekni and Fabricators Guild members are currently designing and building four academies throughout the nation:
- Yu Nua, or Northern Academy, to be located near Pinemont in the town of Heath, Blacknall;
- Yu Khwa, or Eastern Academy, to be located near Stonemoor in the town of Keldwick, Caxton;
- Yu Tai, or Southern Academy, to be located near Revma in the town of Foxmere, Stemma; and
- Yu Sai, or Western Academy, to be located near Cedarshade in the town of Ashhaven, Hawksworth.
Additionally, a fifth and final academy will be built in Zikari near the city of Ilios. This will bear the name Yu Trong-Kham, or Academy Across the Sea, and will be built by a coalition of tekni and Zikarian architects to conform to Zikarian cultural and living standards.
Furthermore all persons turning 16 years old prior to the last day of Summerfall during each successive year must present themselves at their local Yu by 31st Summerfall of that year in order to fulfill their civil obligations and reap the benefits of a fully-subsidized education. Any youth failing to register at their local Yu in a timely fashion will be considered in contempt of the law and their immediate family will be fined an amount of 1 gold per day that they remain truant. In addition, all citizens within a truant’s immediate locality will be held legally responsible, at the discretion of the local epmos, for locating, encouraging, and assisting the truant in upholding their civic obligations.
By working together in this way it is Their Majesty Jintaru Riga’s sincere hope that Braelin will advance forth into a modern-day Era of the People that will prove even more prosperous than that which was enjoyed under the country’s early monarchs.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Fourth Edict
By summertime of year 1217 an epmos, or cultural ambassador, will be posted to every town in Braelin in order to facilitate the exchange of cultural information. Town representatives, Watch members, and local nobility are expected to extend to these epmos all due hospitality and to render whatever assistance is in their power toward the goal of fostering a working dialogue between the epmos and the citizens of Braelin.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Third Edict
The country of Braelin has struggled and sacrificed valiantly in the name of war, but the time has now come to turn our hearts and minds toward peace. To this end, the following shall henceforth be true:
- An official cessation of hostilities has been declared between Braelin and the Serenite empire. Diplomats have been dispatched from Revma to meet the Serenites in the annexed Braelinese territory east of the Caxton Wall, to determine the various logistical questions created by the war’s end.
- Braelin hereby reaffirms its recognition of the sovereignty of the Nation of Zála, and its alliance therewith.
- Braelin hereby reaffirms its ongoing alliance with the country of Xiros.
- Braelin hereby announces its intention to create and foster beneficial trade and diplomatic relations with the island of Caprina.
- Braelin hereby recognizes the sovereignty of the Archduchy of Gavell, under the rule of the Archduchess Camille Gavell and their spouse, the Archduke Col Gavell, and releases into its possession all lands in counties Fleet, Eston, and Rondel which are currently held by the subjects of the Archduchy.
- In exchange, the Archduchess and Archduke Gavell agree to lay down arms, to peaceably and in good faith allow Braelinese loyalists to leave their country by the end of year 1217, and to render due reparations to any nobility who chooses to renounce their ancestral holdings and lands unto the Archduchy. In addition, the Archduchy will not amass military forces exceeding a total force of 1,250 soldiers-at-arms, 750 trained cavalry, and 200 military-trained mages.
- Braelinese nobility choosing to renounce their ancestral holdings and lands in order to leave the Archduchy will be granted new lands and equivalent titles in the new territory that Braelin has obtained beyond the Caxton Wall.
Any who violate these declarations of peace will be considered guilty of treason and treated as such under the laws of Braelin.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: Second Edict
In recognition of the long loyalty and service rendered by the Zikarian people to Braelin, its Crown, and its citizens, Zikari will henceforth bear the status of a Duchy of Braelin, and all the rightful responsibilities and benefits that that status entails.
By Order of Their Majesty Jintaru Riga: First Edict
Henceforth and due to the catastrophic damage suffered in Esos over the summer of 1216, the city of Revma will serve as the capital of Braelin. A sector in the southwestern part of the city will be set aside for the construction of a new palace. A joint team of Caprinan tekni and Braelinese architects, as appointed by the Fabricators Guild, will design the palace’s architecture.